First Attempt...

Valentines Day....my boyfriend and I had only been dating for a month and I wanted to get him something but wasn't exactly sure what to do. I ended up giving him a framed picture of us and also....baking gluten-free cupcakes and brownies for him. The brownies were from a mix but the cupcakes were made from scratch. I got this recipe from Jan Moon's Big Book of Cupcakes presented by Southern Living.

This cookbook is amazing! It has sooo many different types of icings and cakes to choose from! While there is only one gluten-free recipe in the book, it gives tips on how to turn any cupcake recipe into a gluten-free recipe. And that's exactly what I did...I made the "Cinnamon Sugar Mama" cupcakes with the butter cake and cinnamon sugar icing. I substituted the all-purpose wheat flour with gluten-free flour and added 25% more baking powder than the recipe called for (this was one of the tips from the book). 

The batter was more grainy than a normal batter would look and the cupcakes were a lot smaller than normal cupcakes come out. I used paper cups in the muffin tins and they ended up being too big for the cupcakes. But I guess all of that is to be expected from what I've read about gluten and it's elastic properties. (Next time I will remember to use only 1 tsp of cinnamon in the icing instead of 2! It tasted good but was just a little too much for me.)

The brownie batter was pretty hard to spread around in the pan; it kept sliding around and was difficult to even out. But in the end, they tasted great! 

The cupcakes and brownies came out pretty well. I'm sure once I get the hang of substituting things, they will taste better but they turned out pretty well for the first time! And I will definitely be using this cookbook in the future! :) 

Comments

  1. The cupcakes and brownies were delicious babe! :) They didn't last long that's for sure. I hope this blog encourages you to use me as a guinea pig for gf treats as often as possible! If you ever need ingredients definitely let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also, great work on creating this blog, I think you have done a good job with everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts