Attempt #1 at Baking Gluten-Free Bread...

Last night I attempted to bake gluten-free bread from scratch for the first time. I was so afraid that I was going to screw something up, which I did. I was also distracted by the Preds game on tv, so that didn't help matters. (We won by the way!)

I found the recipe in a Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking magazine. It's pretty easy to follow, but of course I skipped over the most important step. 

-1 Tbsp active dry yeast
-2 Tbsp sugar
-1 cup warm fat-free milk (110-115 degrees)
-2 eggs
-3 Tbsp canola oil
-1 tsp cider vinegar
-2 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
-1 tsp unflavored gelatin
-2 1/2 tsp xantham gum
-1/2 tsp salt

The following steps are quoted from the magazine:

1. Grease a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan, sprinkle with gluten-free flour, set aside.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. 
3. In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, combine the eggs, oil, vinegar and yeast mixture. Gradually beat in the flour, xantham gum, gelatin, and salt. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. (It's important to do this with an electric mixer or you'll end up with a loaf that's flat and dry.) Dough will be softer than yeast bread dough with gluten.
The batter was super sticky. As soon as I added the xantham gum, the beaters started spinning faster and most of the batter was spun into the beaters. I couldn't beat it anymore, even though I still hadn't turned the mixer on medium yet.

(P.S. Does anyone know if I can find a dough hook to use that will fit on a 25 yr old Sunbeam mixer?? I know KitchenAid has one, but I'm not sure if it will fit on this mixer.)

4. Transfer to prepared pan. Smooth the top with a wet spatula. Cover and let rise in warm place until dough reaches top of pan, about 25 minutes. 
Well, I did smooth the top with a wet spatula, but FORGOT to let it rise for 25 minutes (DUH!). Didn't realize I had made a mistake until it had been in the oven for several minutes.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes; cover loosely with foil. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. 
It may look semi-normal but it was very dense and didn't taste very good. 

Marshal tried it, even eating a whole slice (with A LOT of jelly). Bless his heart. He said it tasted good, but I know it would have tasted much easier if I had let it rise, obviously. 

I will be trying this again later on this week and I will definitely remember this time to LET IT RISE. I still can't believe I forgot that step. Feel free to try this recipe and see what you think! I believe it will turn out well the next time!! =)


  1. Very good post babe :) Don't be too hard on yourself, we all knew the bread needed to rise but were too distracted by the game! Like your mom said, you will never forget that crucial step again. I can't wait for attempt #2 :)


Post a Comment

Popular Posts