Chicken with the Crunchy Stuff (Chicken Casserole)

                                                 Chicken with the Crunchy Stuff 



Tonight I turned one of my Mom's best dishes into a gluten-free version...chicken casserole or, as I used to call it growing up, "chicken with the crunchy stuff". =) 

Ingredients are as follows:
-3 chicken breasts
-1 can of gluten-free cream of chicken soup
-1 8 oz. can of sour cream
-2 boxes of Glutino (or any gluten-free) crackers
-1 stick of butter 
 (This is basically for 1/2 of the original recipe, it filled a 13" casserole dish pretty well but it would have been better if the recipe was doubled. If you have a smaller dish, you probably wouldn't need to double it unless you just wanted to make more.)

I cooked the chicken breasts on the stovetop (with just enough water to cover them) for about 20 minutes. 

                                          

                                      

Then I drained the excess water and let them cool off in a colander on the counter. Once they were cool, I pulled the breasts apart into pieces. 

Once you have the chicken in pieces, combine them with the sour cream and cream of chicken soup in a large bowl. 

Side note: I used a Pampered Chef can opener to open the soup....so much easier than a regular can opener. I've always had trouble with those so the Pampered chef one is a definite life saver! 

Since I did this in the early afternoon, I put this bowl (covered) in the refrigerator.  When I was ready to cook the casserole, I used the stick of butter to "grease" the dish, then I melted the stick in the microwave. 

To crush the crackers, I put them in a ziploc bag (these crackers were pretty hard to crush and I left some of them a little bigger than I should have, so next time I'll just have to use another method to crush them). Once they are crushed in the bag, dump them in a bowl with the melted butter. Once you have the crackers and butter mixed, spread them over the chicken in the casserole dish. 


Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until bubbling. 



Everyone liked it. I was my toughest critic -the only thing I would do different next time is break the crackers up into smaller pieces and maybe double the recipe so there would be more chicken per serving. 

To go with our casserole, we had green beans and Alexia Sweet Potato Fries (yum)!! 


Sooo good! I eat these ALL the time! Just ask Marshal and his Mom! =)

Used two boxes of these for the "crunchy part" on top. 

Overall, the casserole turned out pretty good. I learned to do some things different next time, but it's all about trial and error! Can't wait for my next recipe! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts