Betty Crocker Glutenfree Apple Crisp



I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! It's unbelievable how fast this summer is flying by! What's even more unbelievable is that it's only been 4 days since Marshal's been at school, it feels like so much longer than that! Good news is- only 15 more days till he comes home for a break! YAY! =) Ok, onto the recipe....I wanted to make something a little patriotic for the 4th and since I love apple desserts, I thought I would try one of Betty Crocker's GlutenFree Apple Recipes. 

I thought the Apple Crisp looked fairly simple and easy to make. If I had an apple peeler/slicer it would have been. I have a cut on my thumb to prove it. :/ Other than peeling, coring and slicing the apples, it was VERY simple to make. I might make some adjustments for next time though...Here's the recipe:

For the apples you need:
-6 large tart cooking apples, thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)
-1 tsp ground cinnamon


For the topping you need:
-1 box Betty Crocker GlutenFree yellow cake mix
-1/2 cup chopped nuts (I left these out)
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 egg, beaten (Not sure this is needed)

1. In large bowl, toss sliced apples and 1 tsp cinnamon. Spread apples evenly in ungreased 13x9 in pan.


In a large bowl, mix cake mix and nuts. 
With bastry blender or fork, cut in butter until crumbly. 



Add 1 tsp cinnamon and the egg, mix well. Sprinkle evenly over apples. 

This is where I thought I did something wrong b/c it doesn't look like a crumb topping anymore. It was very sticky and hard to "sprinkle" over the apples.


Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until topping is light brown. If you desire, serve warm with ice cream. =) Makes 12 servings.


Review: Well, overall I would say it turned out pretty good. It wasnt as sweet as I was expecting. Obviously, the topping didnt turn out like I thought it would. 

What would I do differently? First of all, I would add more cinnamon in with the apples and also some sugar. Then for the topping, I would eliminate the egg. It really made the topping soggy and not very crumbly, which is what I think of when I think about any crisp dessert. I can't wait to try it again though b/c I really did like how it tasted, just not sweet enough for me I guess. =) And next time, I will DEFINITELY use an apple peeler/corer/slicer...preferrably one from Pampered Chef (hint, hint Mom)!! Thanks to Mom for stepping in with the apples yesterday after I cut my finger. If not for her, this dish would have never been made! 

We will see what Marshal thinks about it! I'm freezing half of the dish now so it'll be all nice and ready to eat once it arrives at his school! 

Comments

Popular Posts