Squash-Peach Bake

Any leftover sqaush or zucchini? I know the supply of vegetables can sometimes be overwhelming for those with gardens (not that that's a bad thing) but if you have extra and don't want your veggies to go to waste, this recipe is super easy. 



I had some leftover sliced squash so I decided to try this recipe. I found this recipe in a cookbook/booklet that my grandmother gave me. 
The recipe came from Linda Brink from Colorado, so thank you Linda for creating a gluten-free dessert without even trying! =) 

All you need is:
2 1/2 C sliced unpeeled zucchini or yellow crookneck squash
Salt
1 C sliced fresh peaches
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/2 Tablespoons butter or margarine

After you slice and cut up your squash, salt it lightly. 
Then slice your peaches. (I ended up using 3 peaches. It was more than a cup, but I wanted to have 2 layers of each ingredient.)


In a 2 qt baking dish, arrange squash and peaches in alternating layers.
Sprinkle top with brown sugar; dot with butter. 


Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until squash is tender. Yields about 4 servings.


Review: If you are expecting a crumbly top, like a cobbler, you might want to use some regular sugar instead of brown sugar. The brown sugar and butter just dissolved into the peaches and squash. It tasted really great, but if you want the crumbly top then use sugar instead.

It also came out a little runny, but I think part of the reason that happened was b/c the squash had been stored in the fridge for awhile. It still tasted great though! A very nice dish for summer! 


Comments

Popular Posts