Gluten Free Cheddar Heart Snacks


Before I start, I just want to let you know that this is not my recipe. I found this recipe on Adventure of a Gluten Free Mom's website. That post is for gluten free goldfish, but you can obviously make them into anything you want. 

Marshal had mentioned a couple times recently that he was craving goldfish  (he ate them before he knew he had a gluten allergy) and I was trying to think of something to make him and send him for our anniversary (8 month). So I decided to try and make some gluten free cheddar heart snacks....

-4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
-4 T butter
-3/4 cornstarch
-1/4 t salt
-1/4 t xantham gum
-1/2 t baking powder
-2 T milk 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. 
2. Combine all ingredients, except milk, in a bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Add milk and beat well. 
(I had some trouble initially getting the cheese mixture to be like a "fine crumb" as the recipe says. I still don't really know how to go about this. I tried a food processor but that didn't really do much good. I also tried a blender, but the butter and cheese just got caught in the blades and the blender couldn't "blend" anything. I ended up just using my hands to mix it together as best I could. Obviously the cheese was still in the shredded shape, but it still mixed well.)


3. On a lightly greased surface (I used cornstarch, just like Heidi), pat or roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into small shape of your choice.


4. Sprinkle lightly with your desired topping (salt, dried herbs, spices).
5. Bake on baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, appox 10 minutes (Mine were starting to brown around 8 minutes, that's all they needed). The crackers will be light and crispy, although barely browning at the edges. The bottom of the crackers will have a bit more color. 


As you can tell, it did get a little messy. When I used extra cornstarch to help roll out the dough, it got REALLY messy. But hey, sometimes that's the most fun part. 


I decided to double the recipe so I ended up with about 160 or so. It will vary depending on what shape you use and how much of your leftover dough you use. I kept balling up the scraps until I only had a little bit left and decided that I had made enough. 


Let me just say that I LOVED these! They were so good and I honestly wouldn't have known they were gluten free if I hadn't made them. They just tasted like any regular cracker, but better! Mom and Dad loved them too. Marshal got his box in the mail today and he, of course, likes them! I was trying to think of something besides a "sweet" to make him and this was perfect! I highly recommend these! So many endless possibilities with shapes you can use! Have fun with it! 

8 months ago tomorrow Marshal and I went on our first date! I get to see him in a week! Can't wait!! Love you sweetie! 



Comments

  1. Hmm.. I am missing this recipe babe. Cough Valentines Day Cough!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts