Gluten Free Au Gratin Potatoes
Let me first start off by saying that I'm not sure where this recipe originated from, but we obviously had to tweak it a little bit to make it gluten free. I am not claiming this as my recipe but rather, wanting to share it with others.
My home church was celebrating it's 80th homecoming this past Sunday and they asked members to make some pre-selected side items to bring to the meal after the church service. This recipe was one of them. Mom picked it out and wanted to try a "trial run" with it before she had to make it for Sunday. For the "trial run", she made it gluten free so I could have some of it.
You will need:
-10 medium potatoes
-6 Tbsp butter
-6 Tbsp gluten free all purpose flour (we used Bob's Red Mill)
-3 C milk
-2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-dash of cayenne
-1/2 C chopped green pepper
-1 lb shredded cheese (preferably Velveeta)
1. Peel potatoes and thinly slice.
2. Melt butter in medium saucepan, blend in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbly. ( When you add the gfree flour, the mixture might not start to bubble so immediately proceed to the next step instead of waiting.)
3. Stir in milk, salt, pepper, cayenne and green pepper.
4. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and bubbles for 1 minute.
5. Add cheese; cook, stirring constantly, just until cheese melts.
6. Layer sliced potatoes and cheese sauce in shallow baking dish, ending with cheese sauce.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.
I absolutely loved these potatoes. Yes, they take a little while to prepare and bake but it's worth it because it makes a lot and is very filling!
Just look at that picture...it's making my mouth water right now!
Hope you all enjoy! Have a great day!