Betty Crocker Rice Crunch



I am so excited about trying out some (ok, A LOT) of recipes from my new Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cookbook! My mom ordered it for me, as a surprise, and when it came in the mail the other day I was so excited!!! 
I couldn't wait to dig in and try out all those amazing recipes! Some very easy, some a little more detailed but totally worth it because I mean, it's Betty Crocker! Hello people! 
I have tried a couple of their gluten free recipes before and have had great results. 
I really wanted to share this recipe because it is so simple and makes a great and inexpensive snack, which as we all know, is a little hard to come by in the gluten free world sometimes. 

In their cookbook, it's titled Ginger-Rice Crunch. I modified the recipe a little bit due to what I had available in the kitchen. 
(As you can see, I have a lot of pages bookmarked!)

First, heat your oven to 250 degrees.

Then assemble your ingredients:
-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1/4 cup butter or margarine
-1/4 cup honey
1.5 tsp ground ginger (I left this out)

Heat all of these together in a saucepan to boiling. Then remove from heat, and cool.

Then take a large pan (the cookbook says roasting but I just used a deep cake pan), spray with cooking spray and put these ingredients in your pan:
-6 cups Rice Chex cereal
-1 cup dried banana chips
-1 cup unblanched whole almonds
-1 cup flaked coconut

I used Apple Cinnamon Chex cereal and Trader Joe's banana chips in my mix. I left the almonds and coconut out, because I'm not a big fan of either.

Once you have all your ingredients in your pan, stir in the brown sugar mixture until everything is evenly coated.


Bake for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. 

Spread the mixture on waxed paper or foil for 15 minutes when you take it out of the oven. 

Place in serving bowl and they suggest stirring in 1/2 cup dried cranberries or dried pineapple. 
If I had dried pineapple, I definitely would have used it but it still tastes great without it. 
The mixture is kinda sticky, but once you put it in an airtight container to store, you can shake it around to loosen the pieces if you want. 

Another thing that I love about this cookbook is that they give the nutritional values for every recipe. Obviously, I can't really go by that with this recipe since I left things out and used a different cereal, but still it's a great touch to the cookbook. 
I can't wait to try more recipes! Thanks Betty Crocker for a great, gluten free cookbook!! 

Disclaimer: This review is my own opinion. I was not paid for my opinions by Betty Crocker or anyone else. 









Comments

Popular Posts