Iced Pumpkin Sugar Cookies



Just in time for Halloween, these pumpkin sugar cookies are perfect for parties and fun projects with your kids! I have previously posted this recipe, but have changed it up a little for pumpkin season. 




I grew up with this recipe so every time I make them it brings back memories. 




This time, I used Bobs Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour. When I previously made these, I used my own flour mixture. To see that mixture, go here






For this recipe, I didn't use a traditional icing. I do, however, have that recipe on the other cookie post. Click here to see it. 



For the cookie recipe, you will need: 
-3 cups of self rising flour (To make gluten free flour into self rising flour, you need to add 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt to your flour mixture) 
-1 1/2 tsp xantham gum (if your flour blend omits it)
-1/2 tsp of cinnamon
-2 sticks of softened butter 
-1 1/2 cups of sugar
-1 tsp vanilla 
-3 eggs 
-1 cup of pumpkin (packed)

Ingredients for the icing are listed further down in the post...

  • First, add the baking powder and salt to 3 cups of the Bobs Red Mill flour (or your own flour blend. If your blend doesn't contain xantham gum, you will need to add 1 1/2 tsp to your mixture). Then, add the cinnamon to the flour mixture. 
  • Next, in a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. 
  • Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Mix together well.
  • Add pumpkin to your mixture, making sure to mix it together thoroughly. 
  • Refrigerate the dough for several hours or overnight.


  • Now you are ready to roll out your dough and make your cookies! I normally put down wax paper and use powdered sugar to keep the dough from sticking. Make sure to thoroughly coat the paper, dough and your rolling pin with the powdered sugar! 



  • Try not to make the cookies too thick or too thin. You want to be able to lift them up off the paper without much difficulty. If they are falling apart, they are too thin.
  • Place the cookies about 1/2 inch apart on your sheet. I only had 3 cookie sheets to work with, so I had to do several rounds of baking. If you are reusing cookie sheets, make sure they cool before you use them again.


  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your cookies. If they are really thick, they will need more time. But keep in mind...these don't need to brown much on the top to be done. 
  • Let the cookies cool before icing.



Icing ingredients:
-2 cups of powdered sugar
-3 or 4 tablespoons of water
-splash of vanilla and cinnamon


Store any extras you have in the refrigerator. Let the icing harden before you store them. 

I really enjoyed recreating this childhood favorite recipe into something new and different for the fall. I hope you and your family enjoy them as much as my family and I! Happy baking and Happy Halloween! 















Comments

Popular Posts