Sunday, October 13, 2013

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers



My husband and I really like quinoa and try to work it in our diet as often as we can. It's gluten free (yay) and a great source of protein. 
I can't seem to find the source for the original recipe that I used when making this (I tweeked the original recipe and wrote that down in my notebook) so I'm sorry that I'm not giving you credit if you're reading this! I made this awhile ago so I can't remember the site! If I do ever find the source, I will add it on here. 

Here's what I used:
2 bell peppers
1/2 -3/4 C of quinoa
1 1/2 C of water 
diced zucchini
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 clove of garlic 
Olive oil
Tomato paste
Oregano
Salt, pepper 

-Bring 1 1/2 C of water to a boil. Prepare quinoa as directed on pkg (straining under cold water, etc).
Stir quinoa into the boiling water. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes. 
Let stand for another 5 minutes, still covered. 
Fluff with a fork and set aside. 

Now for the peppers....
-Cut out the core from the peppers. Be careful!
-Pull out ALL seeds and rinse peppers inside and out. 
-Place the peppers cut side down on a plate, microwave on high power until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool. 

In large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat.
-Add garlic, tomato paste, zucchini, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.


Stir in cooked quinoa, remove skillet from heat. 

-Place peppers cut side up in roasting pan. 
-Spoon the quinoa filling into pepper and fill the pan with water 1/2 in deep.
Bake at 350 degrees until top is lightly brown and crunchy, about 30 minutes. I added some shredded cheese at the end of cooking. 

Yum, yum! 
We loved them! Can't wait to make them again!


Served with salad with feta cheese and cornfritter muffins






2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! These peppers sound great and so do the cornfritter muffins! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious Katie! I love stuffing peppers with anything, it not only gives a great presentation but is deliciously healthy :)
    xoxo Sarah Grace, Fresh Fit N Healthy.

    ReplyDelete